Some days my animals reign over my kingdom. All my life I have done things a bit differently than others. I guess in many ways I have led my life according to my own drum beat. Perhaps that is how at this point in my life I am living with 14 animals; three divine dogs and eleven curious cats! (read more)

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Turn the lens of your camera and see life differently

This afternoon I am relaxing at home with my dogs and thinking about situations in life that made me pause, reflect and change my thoughts about the outcome.  What is the easiest way to observe difficult situations?

What makes our lives more complicated than that of our dogs and cats?  Do we see things "one way" or "many ways" but still just think inside the box?  Does our mental mind run the show at times? Do we find ourselves in discussions where we vehemently disagreed with someone and felt stuck?  Felt unable to grasp a loved one's point of view? Or been fixated on a particular problem without seeing a solution?

Well, I certainly have.  A friend recently reminded me of what a Spiritual teacher had taught. When you want to look at a situation differently, just move the lens on your camera.  Our brains are like a camera lens; we see a picture or have a thought, and snap, an idea or opinion is formed. By turning the lens just a fraction of an inch we can see things completely differently. We can change the aperture and see the situation from a different angle or lens.

While these changes are easy to make on our Nikon or Canon, they are not so easy in life. Oftentimes we are invested in needing to be right.  My animals, on the other hand, are much more straight forward.  They either like you or they don't, depending on how kind and loving you are to them.  They have no stuck camera lens;  they are in the moment.

The past few weeks have been challenging.  I have grown tired of struggling with recent events, so I decided to step back and move the lens to see situations differently.  With that one small move, I have had several "ah ha" moments that changed my perspective, allowing me to see things I had previously been unable to see. Changing my lens has allowed me to view a delicate misunderstanding with a dear friend differently.  In doing so, I could grasp their of point of view with an open mind.

I do make great efforts to be a flexible thinker.  Through the years I have learned that forming stuck opinions or judgments don't work for me or for the other person.  A subtle movement of the lens has often brought me more clarity and peace.

Recently a friend had to help his animal pass, but he was set on allowing the dog to die naturally.  However, that wasn't happening according to his plan.  He changed his view of the situation by moving his lens, and everything for his animal and himself fell into place with grace and ease.  Another friend wanted to wait to help her dog cross at a time her young daughter could be there.  Her dog had different desire and need, and passed a few days before the set appointment with the vet, an event that ended up being peaceful for both owner and dog.

Changing the lens to view life differently is not always easy, and remembering to do it until it becomes a habit is not easy, either.  Changing our lens in family situations can be particularly challenging.  Our lens can sit stubbornly in a certain spot for years because of the roles we play with one another.  Recently I had to change my lens in viewing a family member differently.  I decided to subtly move my previously stuck lens to view this person with an open heart, and it made all the difference in my interactions with them.

Imagine if all the world's religious and political leaders would be open-minded to turning their lens two degrees, if they could change the lens on their understanding of who is right and who is wrong.......would we be closer to peace on earth?  Is it possible that if they could turn their lens that they could see that there are many ways to view global situations, none of which needs to be solved with war and greed?








No comments:

Post a Comment